As of this past Sunday I can officially scratch a goal off of my 30 before Thirty list. #12: Eat a meal at the local diner down in my best friend’s hometown. Sunday a good friend and I made the 3 hr. trip up to Hot Springs, NC. We laughed, joked, and squealed joyously as we went up, down and around those mountainous roads.

When we finally saw the first sign for Hot Springs I started to get really excited, just meant we were just that closer to seeing my friend. Who I hadn't seen since the summer of 2007 (3 long years!)
I didn't really know what to expect when we got there, like I said I've only traveled through the mountains and visited the local Pilot Mountain which has nothing on these mountain towns. Once we crossed the bridge (isn't that like quintessential mountain traveling, bridges?) I started going, "OMG look at that, it's soooooo cute!" at almost everything.
Especially when we were met with the little red caboose proudly displayed in the middle of the town.

Again I thought I was going go flying off the mountain with the way my friend took those curves, but I survived and was able to take some beautiful pictures of the view.
The first place we visited was a lookout that was close to her home.
We then went sightseeing around town. I felt like such a stereotypical tourist. With the "Ooohing" and "Ahhhing" and snapping pictures of random things. But I had so much fun doing it that I didn't really care. After visiting the Appalachian Trail Markers, and another lookout. We made our way back down to Asheville for more exploring.
The first thing we happen upon in downtown Asheville was a bookshop of course, three girls who met working at a library, it was such an obvious stop.

And finally it was time for lunch, I know my goal was to eat at the local diner in town but we opted for a local eatery instead (which still counts since it's not a chain restaurant) called Early Girl Eatery. The decor in there was awesome as well and although I didn't enjoy my first dish I did find the hamburger I order instead mighty tastey.

A few more hours were spent in Asheville before we made our way back to Hot Springs to say goodbye. Once there I reflected on how lucky my friend was to live in such a inspiring place and I truly understood the draw mountain life has on people. Not everyone can wake up to this beautiful view every morning. When my friend told me she was moving back home after college I really couldn't wrap my head around why she would want to leave the joys of city life, but after this trip I know what they mean by home is where the heart is. Her heart is truly in those mountains and I think I might have left a piece of mines back there.
Check out more of my pictures on my flicker account: here.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.