In October my mom’s lease will be coming to an end and we’ve both decided that we really don’t want to renew it. The townhome has served its purpose but the rent goes up every year and the place doesn’t warrant that kind of money. I tossed around the idea of just getting a new place with my mom but I quickly saw that wouldn’t work. I really need my space...I can be somewhat high maintenance. Sometimes.
This time around I’m trying to be more specific in what I’m looking for. It was originally just going to be me. But somewhere along the lines my brother wanted to come live with me while he starts at the community college. However, he too wants his space, which I don’t blame him. So he’s now open to looking at one of the local universities that offer student housing. So it might still end up as just me.
When I went looking for my first apartment back in 2009, I didn’t know what to look for. I had never lived by myself and I wasn’t sure what I could afford. So I mainly looked through the local apartment magazines and online. Then in a month went around looking at places that had stroked my fancy. I settled on the apartment I chose because it was new and close to a college which meant there was a student transport stop nearby. I didn’t know much about the neighborhood but my bff stayed less than 10 minutes away. So it worked out for me. I knew I didn’t want student housing either on or off campus as I had did that my whole undergrad. I knew I wouldn’t be able to stand being around other college students...call me a snob its okay.
This time is more about location, as most housing searches boil down to. I work downtown and I want to live downtown. We have a great neighborhood with little pockets of their own flavors that I want to explore. So my search is really limited to this area. There’s a mixture of new, remolded, and old places so it’s going to be fun to find that right one.
I kind of know what I’m looking for a 2 bedroom preferably 2 baths, with a decent size kitchen, some kind of outdoor space, some updates with character. I don’t think that’s a really crazy list. The rest I can work with, I don’t want to pay for perfection. I don’t want brand new either, did that already and it wasn’t that great. I don’t want old and neglected either...not cool. It looks like it’s going to be an apartment in a converted house which is cool; we have some great Victorians and bungalows that have been split into apartments.
The plan is to be in this space for the next four or five years. I have 5 1/2 months...I’m sure I can find something. I have a great New Apartment Board happening over at
Pinterest.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.