6.01.2013

Inspiration to be frank, or the post where I ramble so more about what I want to write about now

Recently I've been reading a lot of memoir type of books. Not the kind of memoirs written by famous celebrities, or by people who accomplish amazing things, or even those who triumphed over drug addiction  alcoholism, abuse, or sickness  They haven't been the kind that were written for the reason to inspire, create an awareness or awaken of some inner strength.

These memoirs are from "normal" everyday persons writing about their not so "normal" everyday life. This kind of started last summer when I first read Novella Carpenter's Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer. It was a great read about a woman who could have been my next door neighbor writing about her journey of incorporating a love into her everyday life. How that love affected her life and the path it set her on. It led me to another urban farmer memoir, and I found myself searching for similar books.

I didn't find many, there are tons of memoirs but most, if not 99% of them fall in those categories I described earlier. They're almost a dime a dozen, I'm sure they have their place but they do nothing for me. Then a couple of weeks ago, while preparing for a class I was teaching I got stuck playing around with some eReaders. Which meant I needed to download some eBooks to read on those things. I hadn't been doing a lot of reading lately...motivation to do much of anything had left me these last couple of months. But has it hadn't I found some more memoir liked books that intrigued me.

And the topics were all over the place, and it got me to thinking about this blog. One of these memoirs read like someone's blog, it was actually written like that. It tracked her journey from being a shop-alcoholic with massive debt to understanding and changing her thinking on money. Truthfully I'm glad I didn't actually buy the book but I am glad I read it. I've always struggled with my relationship with almighty dollar and I've been on the fence about writing it on a public forum such as a blog.

Right now I've been avoiding looking at my finances...not in the way of not knowing what my finances are but in the way of avoiding the need to realize that they are not where I wanted them to be. Two members of my immediate family lost there jobs and I'm the one taking the hit. But it's nothing new because I've always been the one to make up the fact that they suck at money management. It took nearly 28 years but I grew a back bone and stopped the gravy train. At the end of this month I have my schedule quarterly report that I make for myself to see what's going on in my financial life. We'll see what the damage is then.

Another book chronicled a man's aspiration to change careers and thus change his life. It didn't really work out for him but it rarely does. I've always known I didn't really want to be doing what I do for the rest of my life. About a month ago I got a title promotion...no increase in pay of course I work for a county government in a state that is hemorrhaging money. The new position is allowing me to do more of the stuff I like and less of the things I don't. But it's not my forever job I know. Which means I need to figure out what my forever job is.

I sort of know what it is...but the details are always changing. Just like this blog it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.