(this was suppose to post already but something went wrong...oh well.)
I was up late last night working on the blog design. And when I say late I mean until 4...granted I didn't start until after 9. If there is one thing you have to understand about me is that I'm very indecisive when it comes to making design decisions. I'm always afraid that I'm going to hate the results. Then you have to deal with all the possibilities. Anyone who's done any kind of design work understands what I'm talking about. The previous designs I used on here I kind of chose because of the color schemes, then I started thinking about the layout. In general I'm a straight lines, clean and simple sort of girl but with a quirky twist for fun.
I wasn't really find that in the pre-made layouts that were from blogger itself and it was worst going to the web. A lot of layouts weren't aligned that well and if you added things like widgets it through it all out of proportion. So I tried my hand at customizing the Simple Template. I liked the results but the color scheme was bit to dark and overpowering. So back to the web I went. I wasn't ready to design my own yet, just not the right time. One day. I can't even remember what I was doing when I stumbled upon the lovely blog that is Pugly Pixel. I seriously suggest you check her out. SRSLY.
She has two things going on over there, she has a ton of freebies and some premium member things for sale. I plan on buying a premium membership next month. She has two free layouts that you can download, Strawberry Shortcake and Lemon Meringue Pie. At first I was going for the Shortcake layout...come on it's pink. But then the Lemon Meringue grew on me. It ticked off all of my want lists: clean, simple, straight lines, and with a quirky twist. I have to say I'm in L-O-V-E, LOVE! Check out the before and after.
From dark and brooding to light, bright and sugary sweet. I've customized it a bit, taking what I liked about the Shortcake layout (primarily the color) and changing the feeling all together. I also changed the blog title font and choose to leave the dates (still on the fence about that though). Created a new banner, yummy cupcakes and created sidebar label images.
I also changed somethings around on my actual blog. I got rid of some of the widgets, it was starting to crowd up the space. In the original layout she has a space for sponsors and their ads, however at this point I'm ad-free so I took that out. I simplified the labels/categories, gathering up the posts in general overview topics. They're kind of self explanatory, except maybe wanderlust which is for travel related posts. The sweet life...food related, notes...anything related to this blog, and snapshots contain photography related posts. The archive list is simplified as well.
All the changes make for a more simple sidebar and allows my content to be number one. Yes I know that means I need more content...I'm working on that. There's still some things I want to add and change around, in other words this is a work in progress. I hope you like the changes so far.
Anyone else working on redesigning their blogs? Have you done a major overload recently? Do you love cupcakes as much as me?
+photo styling resources+
alphabet pearls
roses
mini cupcakes
matchbook font
cursif font
notebookpaper background


2 comments:
i know what you mean about taking forever to make design decisions. i take FOREVER AND A DAY. :)
well, i adore the changes you made and how you made it your own -- great job!! ♥
and, most of all, thanks for all the kinds things you said. i'm delighted to know that the blog is helpful.
cheers, fellow geek girl!
katrina :)
I'm so glad you liked how it turned out. Thanks for sharing your talents with the blogsphere!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.