4.26.2012

Grub by Anna Lappé & Bryant Terry


Monday I had planned on doing another book review, but the book I had planned on reviewing I never finished. In fact I got a couple of pages in and knew this book wasn’t for me.

Grub by Anna Lappé and Bryant Terry is posed to “straight-to-the-point exposé about the fake food filling our supermarkets and the compelling reasons for choosing organic, local, 'fair' food…” Which had me at hello basically. I’m all for straight-to-the-point writing. I prefer that in my non-fiction reading. Especially when I’m researching a topic for which I am making a life choice.

What put me off was that I could tell this book was going to be the type that after reading it you would feel like the worst sort of person for having a hankering for a burger every once and while. It was suppose to be spirited and practical book on how to create an affordable, easy to use organic kitchen. And perhaps it would have lightened up some, but it completely turned me off with felt more like a rant than an introduction.
As a society, I think we need a wakeup call about food for sure. The food movement and the green movements are become a trendy thing to do and while I hate that for the idea and prosperity of our future. I just don’t think this is the book to help me understand it all. It might be a great read for others and I suggest you find it at the library and give it a try and let me know your thoughts. Maybe I’ll pick up again someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.