9.07.2011

Nail Envy

If you've been around for a while you know I love to buy nail polish. As seen here and here, and since then I've bought more but haven't posted about them. In truth because I'm still trying to figure out how to photograph objects for this blog...but that's a post for another day. At any event while obsessively  browsing Pinterest I kept seeing artfully made nails. Which for some odd reason it kind of blew my mind. I use to be one of those girls who went and got their nails done every two weeks. I use to have the fake nails with acrylic over them and later I just had acrylic put over my real nails to help them from breaking so easily.  And before all that I tried the cheap press on nails. I was never one to get wild designs or colors. But it just never occured to me that beautiful designs could be done at home with regular nail polish. For examples check out my Painted Nails Pinboard. But here's one of my favorites:
+image found on chibinails.
Gorgeous right? For the last couple of weeks I've been diligently breaking out my polishes attempting to recreate similar designs. And the verdict....it's harder than it looks. The results are so bad that I haven't even tried to preserve them in pictures. My panda ended up looking like a mentally challenged skull with two lopsided black ears(?). Even the polka dots were off. I'm not ready to give up, but I sure am a little discouraged.

I wish I could were the fake nails you can get from the store. They've come a long way in the last couple of years. It helps that I'm not as active with my nails, they don't break as often. But my nail beds are rather wide, well my thumb and middle finger are. So I have trouble finding sizes that fit my nails. The new nail paint stickers would probably have the same issue, although I haven't tried any...I'm a little wary on paying $8+ dollars on something that I'm more than sure won't work out.

Anyone else attempting to try something new but find themselves failing horribly?

2 comments:

Alexandriaweb said...

Oh those are so cute :D
Are you using a proper dotting tool for the dots? That's where many people go wrong, if you can't get a proper dotting tool you should be able to get a paper embossing tool from your nearest craft supply shop that will work just as well (it's like a long pen like think with a metal ball on the end)

Jai Lyn said...

Oh no I wasn't using one of those...didn't know they exist I must go out and find one, and try again. Thank you for the tip!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.