And it's not just the new shows coming this fall, it's really their whole line up now and planned. At least three new shows are showcasing designers from previous seasons of HGTV Design Star show. Which I wouldn't be all that upset about because you know in theory there would be more than one designer good enough to get a show. My issue is that all three of these designers getting their own show share similar traits. I don't think I have to say what traits those are. Todd Davis, Donna Moss, and Casey Noble where all on the design star, Todd Davis being the only one of the three to be a runner up. I'm not naive to say that HGTV hasn't always had a bit of a white washing theme to their shows. And to be honest I normally don't pay attention to such things, if you are a good designer you are a good designer. But it's sort of front and center and I can't help but to notice.
I guess what I really dislike is that they are taking off old shows and the shows they are replacing them with are very similar. Todd Davis is one of the new host for their Crasher's series, Donna Moss in my eyes is trying to follow the Sarah Richardson, Candice Olson, Genevieve Gorder pathway and Casey is joining the Design on the Dime series. We are getting the same shows showcasing either over the top thematic designs or somewhat plain expensive designs. Where are the shows that show inspiring out of the box designs that aren't based off large budgets or overtly themed? Unique and one of kind designers that bring that uniqueness to their designs. Is it because the people getting the makeovers are all to similar?
Design by Novagratz is one of those shows even though I don't like every single design they do, they are thinking out of the box and cookie cutter design. In all honestly I wish they would bring back some of the old show premises. Or at the very least bring in new talent that is new and different. I really don't understand bringing back the design star show contestants. I mean if they came with a new show premise I wouldn't be so o_O about it. Dina Manzo is a new host and her show premise is different, so obvious there is a readily supplier of designers with unique talents waiting to be found.
Perhaps I am in the minority, and the reason they are doing the same shows are because the viewers are requesting them and supporting them. If that's the case can we at least get some diversity in the hosts?
Well that's my design rant for the month. And because it's Friday enjoy this picture of the cutest Labradoodle.
| +image found here. |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.